Laptop batteries (and batteries in general) have a bad reputation for having a short life span, but many times it is not the batteries fault. My friend has owned and operated a battery store for over a decade and here are some facts, tips and advice from the expert on how to maximize the life of your laptops battery.
- The average lifespan of a laptop battery is 12 to 18 months, but can be longer if cared for correctly.
- Charge your battery to full capacity and remove it from the charger. Run the battery all the way down when possible. NEVER leave your laptop on charge, unplug when charging is complete.
- Heat and cold will damage your laptop battery. Do not leave it in your car for long periods of time, especially during the winter and summer months.
- The screen brightness setting will absorb a lot of your battery life, turn it down.
- External devices that require power will drain your battery, remove the device upon completion of your work, even though you may not be accessing the device, it consumes your battery.
These 5 simple tips can make a huge difference between a long unplugged session and the overall life of your battery. Keep in mind that a battery has memory, in other words, if it has been abused it may need e replaced and then follow these tips.
John McCann & Associates